Rochester, NY – When we think of Thanksgiving dinner, we think of turkey. But there are lots of fruits and vegetables that are also a big part of the Thanksgiving dinner.
Before serving friends and family, we must ensure that the fruits and vegetables, often served on fruit and vegetable trays, are thoroughly cleaned.
Most produce delivered to stores or restaurants is rinsed during processing, but just to remove pesticide residue, coatings that protect the produce, and insect debris. This is not enough to ensure the produce is safe to consume.
· Wash your hands for 20 seconds before handling fresh produce.
· Remove any stems or leaves from the produce; this is where pesticide residue can collect.
· The surfaces of melons and cantaloupe have been connected to recent foodborne illness outbreaks. Before cutting or slicing, wash the surface with a spray-on fruit and vegetable wash to remove potentially harmful microbes, make the produce last longer, and enhance its appearance.
· Dishwashing detergents should not be used to wash fruits and vegetables. Most are not approved for this task and can leave a soap residue, which can be an intestinal irritant.
· Always use a fresh cutting board and fresh utensils when handling produce. If these items are soiled or contaminated, it can spread to the produce very quickly.
· Related to this, always use one cutting board for meat, poultry, and seafood, and another for cutting produce. Produce can become quickly contaminated if any meat, poultry, or seafood residue is left on the cutting board.
· Countertops should be sanitized before, during, and after working with food items. A citric-based, one-step cleaner/sanitizer, proven effective at sanitizing food contact surfaces, should be used.
· Refrigerate fresh produce within two hours or less of peeling or cutting.
“It’s also now recommended we do one more thing,” says Lee Chen, COO of ProNatural Brands. “In the shopping cart, keep meats, fish, and poultry separate from fruits and vegetables. This prevents juices from meat items [from] dripping on the produce.”
Learn Even More by Watching this Short but Informative Video: https://youtu.be/C0lLZegzcMI
About ProNatural Brands
Since its beginning in 2012, ProNatural Brands has developed a full line of 100% naturally derived disinfectants, sanitizers, and cleaning products with patented, citrus formulas for the foodservice, healthcare, education, and hospitality industries, as well as for the consumer market. ProNatural Brand’s products have been scientifically proven to be effective and a safer alternative for the user’s health and the environment.
For more information:
Contact Lee Chen
Email: [email protected]
Media Contact: Robert Kravitz
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 312 880 8176